The Alabama Partnership for Children is a proud member of the Help Me Grow National Network. Help Me Grow Alabama is a free information and referral line that utilizes 2-1-1 Connects Alabama to help connect families of children birth to age eight to health and developmental resources in their community. Click here for more information on Help Me Grow Alabama.
How does Help Me Grow work?
The four program components are:
‚Äč‚ÄčWho can use Help Me Grow?
Anyone can call if they are:
- Making the Connection. Partner with 2-1-1 Connects Alabama to receive confidential calls from family members regarding a child’s developmental or behavioral concerns, assess the child’s needs and available resources, and refer families to developmental services.
- Building the Network. Develop ongoing relationships with programs in the community and support the maintenance of an updated resource inventory.
- Educating Providers. Educate professionals about the importance of developmental surveillance and screening while promoting access to developmental services.
- Identifying Gaps and Barriers. Collect data and analyze to document and identify needs to more effectively connect families to community resources.
‚Äč Help Me Grow will:
- Wondering about a child’s development, behavior or learning
- Needing support to access services
- Assisting a client, family member, or friend seek information about developmental services
- Requesting inclusion of an organization in the developmental services database for referrals
What is Help Me Grow: Books, Balls, and Blocks?
Books, Balls, and Blocks is a free event held for children and their families. The purpose of the event is to screen children for developmental delays in the first 5 years of life!
- Listen to concerns and help decide which referrals are best for families
- Find services that are appropriate and available for referrals
- Connect children to services
- Follow up to find out if a successful connection was made
The event is fun, educational, and exciting! While children engage in games and activities at different stations, parents learn how these interactions help stimulate their child’s development.
Also, while the children are playing, parents can complete the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3). The ASQ-3 is reliable, valid, cost-effective, and easy to use. The ASQ-3 is the recommended tool to screen young children for developmental delays.
On site, there will be professionals to score the ASQ-3. Afterwards, parents will receive a follow-up from the professional to learn if his or her child’s development 1) appears on schedule, 2) needs to be monitored and provided learning activities, or 3) requires further assessment with a professional.
Parents will be given resources concerning their child’s development and fun activities that they can do with their child! Free community resources will also be available at the event!
Our hope is for Help Me Grow: Books, Balls, and Blocks to be a free, fun, and exciting event, while supporting healthy development among children in your community.
How do I host/support a Books, Balls, and Blocks event in my community?
Complete the Books, Balls, and Blocks Alabama Response Form and someone from the Alabama Partnership for Children will respond with more information.
Regarding child development
For Lauderdale, Colbert, Franklin, Lawrence, Marion, and Winston Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 256-764-5892
For Limestone, Madison, Jackson, Morgan, Marshall, and DeKalb Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 256-705-6768
For Etowah, Cherokee, Calhoun, Cleburne, Talladega, Clay, and Randolph Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 256-547-2581
For Perry, Chilton, Coosa, Autauga, Elmore, Tallapoosa, Dallas, Macon, Montgomery, Lowndes, Wilcox, Butler, Bullock, Pike, and Crenshaw Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 334-264-3335
For Chambers, Lee, and Russell Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 334-745-5540 ext. 12
For Mobile, Baldwin, Escambia, Washington, Monroe, Conecuh, Clarke, and Choctaw Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 251-431-5100
For Covington, Coffee, Dale, Barbour, Henry, Geneva, and Houston Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 334-836-1963
For Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Blount, Cullman, and Walker Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 205-458-2070
For Tuscaloosa, Bibb, Fayette, Lamar, Pickens, Greene, Hale, Sumter, and Marengo Counties:
Dial 2-1-1 or directly 205-348-4026
Regarding Help Me Grow Alabama
Katie Naman, Help Me Grow Alabama Director
Help Me Grow Alabama is funded by the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education through the Preschool Development Grant and by the Alabama Department of Mental Health through a Project LAUNCH grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Association.