Read Right from the Start is an online training program for teachers of children from birth to eight years of age. This research-based professional development program contains interactive, video-based coursework, which is focused on practical strategies teachers can use to promote young children’s language and literacy.
Who should apply to participate?
Any one working with children from birth to pre-k in the state of Alabama, who wishes to enhance their skills to help children develop strong language and literacy skills.
How does Read Right from the Start work?
First register to participate using the online form below. Once you submit this application, you will be automatically directed to the Cox Campus website to complete your registration, and begin taking the online courses. Choose the track most relevant to you (infants/toddlers OR pre-k), and start learning!
Are there any incentives?
Yes. Participants are eligible for a one-time $100 incentive if they meet the following criteria: 1) must be a early childhood educator working in a licensed child care program; 2) must complete at least five (5) hours of online training; and 3) one of those completed courses must by the "Power of Language" course. Participants will submit certificates of completion issued after each course completion, to the appropriate state agency providing the incentives (either the Alabama Partnership for Children or the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education). This incentive is conditional upon the availability of funds.
- To increase the education and effectiveness of early childhood professionals, child care workers and parents to help develop the foundational language and literacy skills from the moment even before a baby is born
- To raise awareness of the value of the early childhood education profession, and the value to the community when all children have the best developmental start in life
- To enhance the quality of early learning settings throughout Alabama
- To promote professionalism and ongoing professional development
- To decrease the turnover rate in early learning settings
- More training and education leading to greater outcomes for child development
- Professional contacts and networks are developed
- The ability to mentor others, including parents, so the developmental activities can become a part of every moment every day for the child
- To be a hero in the community by helping close the achievement gap, so that ALL Alabama children will enter school prepared for success
- Enhancement of the quality of their early learning programs
- Enhancement of the quality of the staff
- Forming stronger relationships with parents and caregivers
- Reduced staff turnover
Children and Parents:
- Trust that your child’s teachers are well-trained and educated in early developmental and educational strategies
- Confidence in the knowledge of their child’s important developmental milestones
- Knowledge of resources for language and literacy development, and the ability to recognize any developmental delays early
- Strengthening the bond between you and your child, not to mention the increase in fun watching your child progress and interact with you
In order to be eligible to receive the incentive:
- Must work at a licensed child care / early childhood learning facility, or family child care home in Alabama
- Must complete at least five (5) hours of course work; you may select either the Infants and Toddlers track, or the Preschool and Pre-K track
- Must include completion of the “Power of Language” course among the required 5-hour minimum
- Must submit certificates of completion to the agency offering the incentive (either the Alabama Partnership for Children or the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education)
If you work as an Alabama First Class Pre-k lead or auxiliary teacher, pre-k directors, home visitors, Children Policy Council Members, or community member, you must submit the required certificates of completion to:
Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education
ATTN: Tammy Gibson, RRFTS
P.O. Box 302755
Montgomery, AL 36130
Contact: Tammy Gibson at 334-202-1636, or email at email@example.com.
All others must submit the required certificates of completion to:
Alabama Partnership for Children
ATTN: Collie Wells
2595 Bell Road
Montgomery, AL 36117
Contact: Collie Wells at 866-711-4025, email at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please allow 60 days for processing of the incentive payments.
You may take as many courses as you like — they are free! And you can take them at your own pace. The videos are formatted to be easy to view, and in short segments.
Program provided with funding support from the Alabama Department of Human Resources, the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education, the Alabama School Readiness Alliance, the Mike and Gillian Goodrich Foundation, and the Daniel Foundation of Alabama.
Apply now using the form below.
IMPORTANT: After clicking “Submit” you will be redirected to the CoxCampus.org Video Courses page, where you will need to click “Sign Up” to create your account and begin your training sessions.
Alabama Course Credit Letter
Read Right from the Start Resources:
Click on resource image to download PDF